CROSSWORD • September 2021
1. Italian artist, engineer, and scientist whose skill and intelligence, perhaps more than that of any other figure, epitomized the Renaissance humanist ideal.
2. Celebrated cocktail bar with sophisticated traditional décor, famous for inventing the Negroni Sbagliato cocktail.
3. The seat of government in the Italian city of Milan for many centuries, today, it serves as a cultural center and it is home to international art exhibitions.
4. Italian opera in four acts composed by Giuseppe Verdi that follows the plight of the Jews as they are assaulted, conquered and subsequently exiled from their homeland by the Babylonian king.
5. One of Italy's oldest newspapers, published in Milan since 1876.
6. The main public gallery for paintings in Milan. It contains one of the foremost collections of Italian paintings and shares the building with the art academy with the same name.
7. Italian contemporary artist known primarily for his provocative hyperrealistic sculptures and installations.
8. 20th century architectural movement or style based upon new technologies of construction and materials mainly glass and reinforced concrete – and the idea that form should follow function and reject ornament.
9. Influential Italian painter and sculptor who helped shape the revolutionary aesthetic of the Futurism.
10. The current Mayor of Milan.
11. The ancient city where Milan now stands.
12. The architect that in 1861 designed and built the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.
13. Noble Italian family that rose to power in Milan during the Middle Ages where they ruled from 1277 to 1447.
14. The architect that was invited to convert the premises of the former Ansaldo Factory into a Museum.