From the end of the 19th century until the late 1950s-early 1960s, several art galleries opened in what is now known as the ‘Quadrilatero della moda’ in Milan, the area between Via della Spiga, Via Montenapoleone, Via Santo Spirito, Corso Littorio (now Corso Matteotti).
The first modern art gallery in this part of the town was founded by the Grubicy brothers in 1876, and it was followed by many others through the decades, particularly between the two world wars.
Those art galleries became the meeting place for poets, artists, critics, and collectors. They played a key role in shaping art history and supporting the development of some of the most important Italian artistic movements, like Futurism and Spatialism.
After the success of the first edition, ATO Art Takes Over renews its commitment to bring art into the so-called “Fashion district” in the center of Milan, heavily affected by the economic crisis.
The second chapter features Kerstin Brätsch and Judith Hopf, two internationally renowned German artists represented respectively by the Milan galleries Gió Marconi and Kaufmann Repetto.
The works selected for this exhibition are on display 24 hours a day at Via della Spiga 48 for passers-by and curious art lovers until the end of September 2021.